Sunday, October 02, 2005

Day 1 and 1/2: A Funny Thing Happend at the Airport...

Well, it turns out with all our careful packing and planning, we hadn't taken into account the weight limits United imposes on luggage. So...there, in the middle of check-in at the United counter, we threw open our 133 lb suitcase (no, I didn't mis-type) and divided the contents between it and a cardboard box, kindly provided by United. It's a little humiliating to sort through your various undies and personal belongings in front of dozens of angry passengers, waiting for their turn in line. Ah well.

The flight from Dulles to Heathrow was fine and restful. Really and truly for those of you who know my history with airplanes. This was more than partly due to the fact that Stu, thank GOD, has premier status, which bumped us right into economy PLUS. I am a firm believer in the neccessity of leg room. I live for the day when I am either invited or push my way kicking and screaming into business class. No one deserves to sit smashed like a sardine. It's inhumane. Actually, the worst, and weirdly, funniest part of the trip, was the time we spent at Heathrow. Let me preface this by saying that, yes, London had their fair share of bombings, so it's not unreasonable to think that they would increase thier security. That being said, I can honestly say that I hate Heathrow. Yes, I do. After a six hour trip across the ocean, we waited in endless lines to board a bus to go through security yet again. Come on, folks, we were virtually strip-searched in Dulles. Need we repeat the experience? Sigh.

Apart from the airport experience, we arrived in Stuttgart with very little trauma. (Oh yes, Stuart has reminded me that the box we bought at the United counter broke open on the conveyer belt in Stuttgart. Once again, we had to gather our delicates in public). Less embarassing the second go round, I think. Fewer people. Anyway, ,fFrom the cab ride, it seems a pretty little city. (Stu thinks not). Hopefully, we'll have time to explore...More later.