Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy belated expat Halloween and other things random.

Halloween is just not the same in Bosnia.

I mean, yes, the local market did put out scarecrow and witch decorations--in July--but I think they were just confused.

I briefly contemplated putting Veli in a dress, but, I abandoned that idea when she tried eating the matching hat. I think this might have also qualified as inhumane treatment, so an overall good call on my part.

And, yes, I did try to set the mood with a You Tube broadcast of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, but it just left me feeling hollow.

Phooey. There's an adult-themed Halloween party going on this Saturday, a sure promise of drunken debauchery, and my heart is just not in it.

Why, God, why?

I know other American expats have managed to hold onto the sweet, nostalgic memories of Halloween past, and they celebrate accordingly. As for me...? I find this particularly disturbing because I simply love(d) this holiday. (I do believe in the Great Pumpkin, I do!) Just the thought of Halloween makes (made?) me want to bake pumpkin bread, buy the October issue of Country Living (do not mock), and collect Department 56 Halloween decorations (I said, do not mock). What happened? Are our ties to our native culture so easily broken? Talk about unsettling, and I am only a year into my expatship. Dum-dum-dum.

Anyway.

Now for a subject everyone can get behind. Snow. Yes folks, Sarajevo has made the leap from summer to winter, with only a hint of fall. These were taken, about, 2pm this afternoon.



I am giddily excited by the prospect of snow. That will surely put me in the mood for Christmas and SHOPPING...which is just the kind of consumer-minded thinking one expects from an American.

God bless America.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

well I know it's harder for many people living in France also. If it makes you feel better, I didn't go out, didn't see the Canadian fireworks and was a good girl and went to photo class...

Interesting blog and I'll have to read more. I've never been to S or anywhere near it...

But the way, the chill in the air started here.. Except today is rainy so it must be warmer out.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home