Thursday, July 07, 2011

The lure of escapism

A friend of mine went on a vacation following an emotional train wreck. I know exactly how he feels, as I've done it myself to varying degrees of success. During the most successful of those times, I managed to leave everything behind for the duration of the holiday. I saw new things, had adventures, and came back with a feeling that everything was manageable. My problems seemed very small and I couldn't remember what had bothered me so much in the first place.

And that lasted for, oh, a week. Then the accumulated emotional turmoil came back with a vengeance.

You really can't run away from your problems. This is very true. I think a successful vacation can be a tonic for the short term and, if managed well, it can be a jump start to a healthier life.

It is July 7th, and I, too, just returned from a successful vacation where my problems seem small and manageable. From experience, I know it's up to me to make that feeling last. (And let me just say the thing which is the source of my angst is not my wonderful little family. They are most wonderful indeed.)

So. I'm going to embark on a month-long pursuit of healthiness. Starting now. Details will follow but rest assured it involves lacto/ovo/pesco vegetarianism, as any month-long pursuit of mind-body wellness should. Duh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home