Monday, September 15, 2008

In retrospect, things I DO miss about New Jersey

Rejoice! It is fall, my much beloved season of seasons. It is Halloween and Thanksgiving and pretty leaves and the beginning of cozy sock wearing and crock pot cooking. Most happy of sighs.

So, I'm sitting here with my morning coffee and my lovely socks (see above) and scanning our summer beach pictures. I come across this one...

When you're an expat, you find there are some things you miss about your country and other things you miss, well, not so much. I suppose things falling in the not-so-much category would be the ever-present-in-your-face flag waving. Like you aren't really an American unless your business/place of residence is covered, tip to toe, with American flags. And what's with the "American Owned" thing? Why did they feel the need to advertise the fact? What are they really saying, er hum? I sometimes find American patriotism to be cloying and dangerously nearsighted.

Anyhoo.

The U.S. New Jersey. The beach. Things I do miss....

1. Tastycakes! I was particularly partial to the Cream Filled Koffee Kake Cupcake. Oh-la-la.












2. Wawa. Affordably yumtastic coffee. I do miss you, my pet. But what is up with the Pancake Sizzli? Bad, very bad (and this why Americans are fat. Very fat.)



STATION BREAK, or, YES, I AM A HYPOCRITE. I do realize everything I miss so far is food and crap food at that. So, hold onto your hats for number 3...

3. Hoagies! Cheesesteaks! I'm talking proper Italian hoagies and cheesesteaks, folks. It's a world of difference (and a thing of beauty, no?)

4) Italian Delis. God, I sorely missed these, even when living in DC. Growing up, you never realize that a town or city could exist without a proper Italian deli. Yet, they do. And we're the worst for it, really.

STATION BREAK, PART LE DEUX, or, CAN JACKI THINK OF SOMETHING SHE MISSES THAT IS NOT FOOD RELATED?

Er, um, friends? Family? Oh, I know...!

Le Target. Sing unto the angels!

Target

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home