Sunday, March 11, 2007

Of pork pies and driving lessons...

After a month in this United of Kingdoms, the huz and I took the leap and bought...Drum roll, please...

A pork pie.

And not just any pork pie, ladies and gents. We bought the gastronomic equivalent of a Rolls Royce with this Waitrose Sunday Special....


And it really wasn't good. At all.

I am now of the opinion that the pork pie is something to be endured rather than enjoyed. My stomach doth protest. Too much.

And so we now turn to driving lessons.

I hate driving. I have nightmares where the car spins spectacularly out of control, and I crash into people, signs, buildings...It's horrifying. But. Now I live in the sticks, I feel as though I have no choice. And so begins the driving lessons. (Here, I must admit, I do have a driver's license acquired back when I was 17. I am not a total novice. Just a bit of a freak.)

Luckily, the huz is a patient and virtually shock-proof teacher. Take today, for example. Even though I almost drove our Volkswagen Rabbit through our kitchen, he remained almost virtually unfazed. Almost. (Like any sixteen year-old new to driving, I became conflustered and confused the gas with the brake. I'm still shaking, and I can only imagine the images that will visit me tonight in my dreams.)

So. Good people of America, of Britain. Pray for me, that I might not be found in a twisted wreck of metal. In a ditch. Outside the beautiful scenic village of [insert here].

Pray real hard.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially not in the UK where:
1. You've got to change gears and I really thought cars would do that themselves

2. They drive on the wrong side of the road (if it ain't right, it's gotta be wrong)

3. They have roundabouts! Ack!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get there. I did and I never thought I could have.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy your pork pie, but I suspect it's somethin gyou have to be used to from childhood. Like Marmite.

It's just a questioin of getting used to driving on the left. You'll have far more control of your car when you drive with a manual gearbox. Automatic is just for little old ladies! Enjoy your driving test! I passed mine no prob... on the third attempt. When I moved across the pond I took a test in Florida, which was so ridiculously easy I wondered why they even bothered.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home